HAP was founded in 2014 by two Albuquerque sisters, Natalie and Megan Shields. The company started on a small scale, only producing youth theatre and workshops over the summers. Over time, the company grew to start producing more shows a year and offering classes. By 2020, the company had a board of directors and a physical location to call home. HAP produced plays, musicals, summer camps, cabarets, classes and more in our location on Menaul for two years. In 2022, HAP moved into the Desert Rose Playhouse. Since its creation, Hold the Applause has produced over 30 productions and been home to many incredible artists. We are proud of where we came from and look forward to what is yet to come.
Natalie Shields- Founder
Artistic Director 2014-2023
Megan Dorine- Founder
President of the Board 2014-2021
For the past 9 years, Hold the Applause Productions has been committed to becoming a safe place for artists and performers to create in an environment that encourages imagination and inclusiveness. We've focused on the 3 C's: compassion, collaboration, and community engagement. Through our children's shows, camps, and classes, we are dedicated to providing mentorship to the next artistic generation; and as we expand our repertoire into adult and multigenerational theatre, we believe that we will continue to create a strong artistic community in Albuquerque.
- Encourage artistic expression.
- Create a judgement-free, collaborative environment for our artists.
- Create an environment that spurs creativity, inclusiveness, and thought-provoking conversations.
- Prioritize the use of local artists.
- Support the lifelong learning and participation in theatre.
- Guarantee that our work is accessible to patrons of all ages, cultural or economic backgrounds, and physical ability.